Thursday, November 28, 2013

A NEW RECORD, & A NEW RIDE!!

Yes a new world record, two posts in one year, exciting, isn't it?

Anyway.

In my previous post I listed the cars that were contenders in my search for a new ride. So here's the big reveal:




A 2014 Mini Coupe


I became interested in the mini's when they came out about 10 years ago, alas, I had just paid off my Honda, and didn't want to start up another car payment, especially since the civic only had 40K on the clock.

I took one for a test drive back then, and was impressed. BMW is behind them mechanically, so it's built well, and everyone that I know that has one loves it. The test drive was fun and fast, not Mustang Shelby fast, but quick, tight, and spirited. 

So after hemming and hawing, I decided a Mini might be the way to go. I remember specing out my mini on line, all the bits you can add on, union jack details, roof decals, wheels, ect..And I remembered the starting price was ok, not great, but not bad. After adding all the extras..it was a bit much. So I remained with the honda.

I got on line, and again specified out a Mini hardtop (The style that was in the Marky Mark version of "The Italian Job") It could handle my guitar gear hauling needs, and still be fun. This time the price was a bit better, and I didn't have to add all sorts of bits to it, partially because I'm 10 years older (and hopefully wiser), and the fact alot of the items came standard.

The bummer was after visiting MINI of Peabody, I was informed that whatever Mini hardtops that they had would be the last until spring of 2014. A newer version was coming out, slightly larger, with a new 3 cylinder engine and a turbo. Bummer that I didn't think the Honda would last much longer.

So my Dad was with me and he popped the trunk on a Mini Coupe and asked "can you fit your gear in this?" It was a pretty big boot overall for a two seater. Bigger than a Miata, or Audi TT, and the like.

So I put that into consideration, and after a trip to MINI of Peabody, and a slight bit of wheeler dealing I ended up with my mini. The sales guy, Ryan Turner, was easy to deal with. 

I did my research, on the local dealers and every time I saw a negative review,thought, you know, do people think that they should get 10K for a 7 year old VW golf with 80K on the clock? and the answer is yes, they THINK what they have is worth more, but forget, the price for anything is driven by the whatever the buyer thinks it's worth, sad but a true fact. 

I wanted $2K for my civic, and yes that was a little unrealistic, but I was happy with what I got, and I know that they want to sell a car to make as much profit, and I want to spend as little as possible, so you have to find that happy medium, and yes you don't have to take the deal, but as they say "it is what it is".  Watching shows like "Pawn Stars", Wheeler Dealers" and the like showed me a bit on dealing with sales and the like, realistic, and otherwise. I can say I got a good deal, and have no horror stories to report. If I ever need a new MINI, I'll be calling Ryan. Big bonus was the fact that when I picked up my MINI, he asked if I had a front plate for it, I said no, as I have an older pan style plate. He was relieved, because he told the prep department NOT to drill holes for mounting a front plate. When I got my Honda they drilled out the bumper, and I had an ugly plate on the front for 13 years A small thing, but made me VERY happy. Also they don't have any decals or markings for the dealer on the back of the car. It's the little things, and it's nice to have the car look like a factory brochure.

So what did I get, well the only think I really wanted was heated seats, Kelly has them on the beetle, and I liked that idea. The Audio system was pretty standard, but has bluetooth, and I can put my music on a USB drive, and plug that in, and control it from my steering wheel, no having to plug in a mp3 player, and grab it to scroll around. 

The only gripes are with some design issues, and those fall on MINI, not a dealer:

1: I like the idea of a matching roof to body color. I like my Grey & Black color scheme, but I think it would look better in one color (in every shade they offer) in the past you could only get the hardtop mini with a white or black roof, now they offer this scheme, perhaps in the future on the coupe. 

2: the large speedometer, in the new ones it's been deleted for a multi function display. I recently found out that on the new 2014+ mini's they'll have one, minor gripes.

Ok, yes it's not a Cooper S. Im being realistic, I like to drive, but I don't need that much power in such a little car. besides the money I save, is $ I can put into other project cars, as well as my MGB.

Anyway, that's what I ended up with, and I'm happy. They say mi MG will get jealous, but I took the MG out a week after I bought my MINI. and while it's a shift going from a 6 speed manual to a 4 speed, after 5 minutes, and the MG warmed up, it felt like home..but if i'm not gonna drive my 1974 MGB, this is a very good second choice..



No comments: