Thursday, November 7, 2013

Overdue yet again..

Yes It’s been too long, stuff happens, Lots of stuff.

So in the summer of 2012, I started a new job about 10 minutes from my home. I was happy to burn my MBTA pass, and rejoiced in the fact I could not only drive to work, but I could drive my MGB to work. It was pretty glorious, although the trip was so short, it wasn’t until 75% of the trip the MGB warmed up! During this time I also came to the realization that my daily driver, a 2001 Honda Civic, was nearing the end of it’s journey. I can't complain about the Honda, she's served me well. I learned to drive stick on it. It's done many gigs with my bands, as well as pulling doughnuts in the snow in fanueil hall. It's just at almost 13 years old, she was getting tired, and to the point that very soon I’d need a replacement.

I've matured, as a driver and as a person. I know what I want in a car, and what I really need in one, according to my lifestyle and budget. So far I've done some research and came up with a little list of vehicles on my radar:

1. Fiat 500. yes Italian car, made by an american company, in mexico. the concept alone is wreaking havoc on my mind.  But, it's cute, neat, stylish, compact and it's still sporty. Im not thinking about the Abarth, but the mid-line 500 sport. and to all of those who say, just buy the abarth. I say, just give me the extra $$, because apparently spending money isn't an issue for you. for $23K there are other cars out there. Bigger cars. Sexier cars. more powerful cars. LIke..


2. Dodge Challenger. Now I know what you saying "now you're talking!". Wait for it though. I want the V6. Sorry, but at 300+ HP, and 27 MPG that's still pushing my practicality zone. My friend, Rob, has one, and it looks great, almost like the v8 model. The newer V6 looks even closer to the V8, even down to the retro fuel door. It's sexy, and big. Look at Joe Rogan's Sick fish hemi that he had done in 2004. It's the car he had Foose design, and Rad Rides by Troy build. But this version is a fraction of the cost of Rogan’s ride, and without the issues he had, (apparently the unibody's shock tower sheared itself from the chassis while pulling into the driveway) Anyway it's Chris Brown's problem, I mean car, now.





3. Ford Mustang. Again a V6. Classic looks, modern design and technology. The only downside is the color selections are kind of weak, and to really give it the styling cues I want, I need to re do the grille to something more muscular like: change the wheels. I do enough wrenching on cars already, and buying a new car, and making modifications to just make it appealing aesthetically is kind of a bummer, and can get expensive. thankfully the Dodge doesn't need any mods I can think of.

4. Chevy Camaro. It's probably the most aggressive looking one, in my mind. It looks like it wants to rape the road ahead of it. No wonder it was used as a model for the transformers movie. No mods needed, again I'm looking at a v6. I’m thinking in Silver or even better in Bumblbee Yellow.

5. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe. it's got some good lines. Some. It's like if someone described an Aston Martin to a police sketch artist. It's close, but not quite. However, it is available as a base model at $25k, with a 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo charged at 274HP and 31 MPG. Oh yeah and it's rear wheel drive. The interior looks very sporty too. The only mods I could think of would be a set of wheels that don't have the "H" logo on it.


Wanna see what I ended up with? Tune in next time, which I promise will happen before 2014 ends!

No comments: